Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Lens
The Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G2 Telephoto Zoom Lens is long-reaching portrait-length-to-telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with both full-frame and APS-C-sized image sensors. Its great zoom range is well benefitted by the inclusion of a high-performance focusing system that revolves around the Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) for smooth, fast, and quiet AF performance. Benefitting quick shooting applications, this focusing motor utilizes piezoelectric elements that change shape and provide lens functionalities that include a large rotational distance at low speeds and quick start and stop response times. For further refinement of the focusing abilities, three focus hold buttons are available for locking-in focus positions and a focus range limiter can also be employed for greater focus response and subject tracking efficiency. When working with manual focus, an easy-grip focus ring provides increased tactility for more control and an auto clutch mechanism will also disable the manual focusing ring when working in AF modes.
The Sony G-series lenses are designed to provide optimal image sharpness and clarity as well as even peripheral illumination from edge to edge. Contributing to this enhanced image quality is the inclusion of two extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements, which minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and help to maintain true colors and image clarity. Additionally, a Nano AR Coating is also applied to lens elements to reduce lens flare, ghosting, and surface reflection in order to improve image contrast and light transmission.
- Super Sonic Wave Motor
- The inclusion of the SSM focusing system provides quick, quiet, and smooth performance that is well-suited to subject-tracking and fast-paced shooting. The short response times and inclusion of focus hold and focus range limiter functions enable greater efficiency when working with moving subjects, and an auto clutch mechanism, which disables the manual focus ring when working in AF modes, provides a more intuitive means for working with the AF system.
- G-Series Optical Design
- The optical configuration of this lens is designed to provide a high level of image clarity as well as consistent, even illumination and sharpness from edge to edge. Two ED glass elements are incorporated into the lens construction to help minimize chromatic aberration throughout the zoom range while also contributing to producing accurate color rendition. Individual elements also receive a Nano AR Coating to reduce lens flare, surface reflections, and ghosting in order to improve image contrast and light transmission.
- Other Lens Features
- A minimum focusing distance of 4.9' and a maximum magnification of 0.27x make this lens suitable for use when photographing close-up subject matter.
- The G-series of lenses feature an ivory-white finish on the lens barrel to help reflect sunlight and maintain cooler temperatures within the lens itself.
- Nine-blade circular diaphragm helps to produce a smooth out of focus quality when working with shallow depth of field and selective focus applications.
- The internal focusing design also contributes to faster AF performance and permits greater working efficiency with circular polarizers and other rotating filters.