The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Digital Camera is a bridge-style point-and-shoot digital camera that features a 16.1 megapixel High Sensitivity BSI MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080i/p video with notable low-light quality. The combination of the processor and sensor enable a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-3200, which can be further expanded to ISO 6400. The processor also affords a wealth of speed to the camera, including the ability to record up to 9 fps in a 3-shot burst, 5 fps with one-shot AF, or 2 fps with continuous AF.
The built-in Lumix DC Vario 60x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 20-1200mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives for working in almost any shooting situation. Benefitting this extensive zoom range is POWER O.I.S., which works to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working with greater zoom magnifications and under low-light conditions. This image stabilization system also features an Active Mode that is well-suited to creating steady HD movies by countering the appearance of camera shake in a variety of directions.
Full HD 1080i video at 60 fps is supported in the high quality AVCHD codec and greatly benefits from the inclusion of a Windshield Zoom Microphone and Dolby Digital audio quality. The built-in stereo microphone works to significantly reduce wind noise in order to provide clearer overall audio quality. Its zoom design is also well-paired to the zoom lens to help achieve natural sounding recordings.
For image monitoring and playback, both a 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor and a 0.20" 202k-dot electronic viewfinder are available as bright, clear means for viewing. Also extending the functionality of the FZ70 is a hot shoe to facilitate the use of an external flash and an HDMI port for linking the camera to an HDTV for vivid image playback. A host of creative effects are available too, for enhancing the aesthetic appearance of both still images and movies in-camera.
- Lumix DC Vario 60x Optical Zoom Lens
- A tremendously long-reaching Lumix DC Vario 60x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 20-1200mm, covering wide-angle to super telephoto lengths to suit shooting from nearly any vantage point. Extending the magnification of this lens even further is Intelligent Resolution technology, which effectively renders the zoom ratio to 120x with minimal image degradation. The maximum f/2.8-5.9 aperture benefits working in low-light conditions at the wide end of the zoom range and also contributes to greater control over focus placement.
The lens construction integrates six aspherical elements, with nine aspherical surfaces, and three extra-low dispersion elements to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range while also contributing to overall image sharpness and clarity.
- 16.1MP High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- A 16.1 megapixel 1/2.3" High Sensitivity MOS sensor utilizes Back Side Illuminated technology to render imagery clearly and well-detailed with notable low-light quality. The sensor works in conjunction with the Venus Engine image processor to minimize visible noise and provide a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-3200, which can be further extended to ISO 6400 when working in High Sensitivity mode. The image processor also affords a wealth of speed and performance throughout the camera system including a fast start-up time of 0.9 sec. and full-resolution continuous shooting rates up to 9 fps (in a 3 frame burst), 5 fps with single-shot AF, or 2 fps with continuous AF.
- Full HD Video with Dolby Digital Audio
- Full HD 1080i video recording at 60 fps is supported in the high quality AVCHD codec for fluid, well-detailed movies and 1080p video at 30 fps is also available in the Internet-friendly MP4 format. A dedicated movie record button allows for a seamless transition into the recording mode and Creative Video Mode settings offer greater control over the appearance of movies by allowing for the adjustment of shutter speed and aperture settings during recording.
Also contributing to effective movies is the use of Dolby Digital Stereo Creator and the inclusion of a Windshield Zoom Microphone, which is able to substantially reduce the amount of wind in audio recordings to realize notably clear sound with videos. The sealed structure of the microphone works to prevent wind from reaching the microphone directly and the draft structure suppresses the retention of air internally in order to realize unaffected sound quality. Additionally, the microphone has audio zoom capabilities to match the lens' zoom in order to provide a realistic sound quality when recording videos.
- POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode
- POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) works to effectively minimize the appearance of camera shake when shooting with longer shutter speeds or greater zoom magnifications in order to realize stable, sharp, and clear imagery. This stabilization system also features Active Mode, which benefits video recording by accounting for different directions of movement in order to steadier movie recordings, even while walking or moving when recording.
- Camera Design
- The design of this BRIDGE CAMERA incorporates both a 3.0" 460k-dot rear LCD monitor with anti-reflective coating and a 0.20" 202k-dot electronic viewfinder for live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation. The EVF is a convenient means for eye-level viewing, which is especially useful in bright lighting, and also provides an additional point of contact between you and the camera to further aid in stabilizing shots when working with greater zoom magnifications or when shooting in low-light conditions. A large ergonomic grip is also integrated into the FZ70's design to further add a measure of stability when shooting.
Additionally, a hot shoe is incorporated into the body to support the use of an optional external flash for greater illumination and flash control beyond that of the built-in pop-up flash.
- Other Camera Features
- iA (Intelligent Auto) mode automatically sets all camera exposure settings to clearly render the scene at hand, allowing you to simply compose and shoot. iA Plus Mode allows for even greater control through adjustment of background focus, exposure compensation, and white balance settings.
- In-camera HDR works to extend the visible dynamic range of image by recording several images at once with varying exposure settings and then overlaying them into a single image to garner greater shadow and highlight detail.
- Creative Control provides 15 different filter effects for modifying the appearance of your images: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Star Filter, and One Point Color. Many of these filters can be used during video recording and, additionally, these filters can be applied to images after shooting by using the Creative Retouch mode.
- Creative Panorama mode automatically stitches together multiple images in order to realize one wide-spanning horizontal or vertical image. A range of filter effects can also be applied to panoramic images, including Retro, Expressive, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Old Days, Cross Process, and One Point Color.
- RAW file recording renders image files with greater room for post-processing adjustment compared to the standard JPEG file type.
- An HDMI port is integrated into the camera's design to allow for direct playback of photos and movies to an HDTV.
- Language support: English and Spanish.