Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens
Featuring a unique optical design and paired with advanced image stabilization technologies, the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is a super telephoto lens characterized by its relative lightweight and compact form factor. Gapless dual-layer diffractive optics are employed within this lens' construction to produce a smaller, lighter 400mm option with enhanced correction for chromatic and spherical aberrations. Aspherical and UD elements are also used to further reduce distortions and a Sub Wavelength Coating contribute to increased clarity and contrast. Complementing the sophisticated optical layout, a four stop-effective Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake and can be dedicated to different styles of shooting. Ideally positioned as a versatile option for sports and wildlife photographers, this lens' high-performance attributes and natural handling render this a viable telephoto option for a variety of applications.
Housed within a weather-resistant barrel, this lens also features fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements for protection against fingerprints and other elements from affecting image quality. Focusing is complemented by the inclusion of AF stop buttons at the front of the lens, as well as full-time manual focus override and Power Focus mode for smooth shifting of focus.
- Super telephoto 400mm f/4 lens is compatible with full-frame EF-mount DSLR cameras, as well as APS-C-sized sensors where it will provide a 640mm equivalent focal length.
- Gapless dual-layer diffractive optics contribute to a marked reduction in chromatic and spherical aberrations as well as benefit the design of a relatively compact and lightweight lens.
- One large diameter ground aspherical element and one ultra-low dispersion UD element minimize aberrations and distortions while also contributing to greater sharpness and clarity.
- A Sub Wavelength Coating has been applied to individual elements to control lens flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Three distinct IS modes are available: standard single-shot mode, a panning-optimized mode, and a mode that only activates the Image Stabilizer during the exposure.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with optimized focusing algorithms and a high-speed CPU, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Focus Preset function is available to quickly recall a programmed focusing position.
- Focus Limiter switch lets you constrain the focusing to three different ranges to suit different applications: 10.8-26.2', 10.8'-infinity, or 26.2'-infinity.
- A Power Focus setting is available, and allows you to electronically and smoothly adjust your focus position to suit video recording. This setting utilizes a dedicated ring in front of the main focusing ring and allows you to use one of two different focusing speeds.
- A weather-resistant design protects the lens from dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions. Additionally, fluorine coatings have also been applied to the front and rear lens elements for further protection against fingerprints and smudging.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Fixed rotating tripod collar benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod.
- Compatible with optional EF 1.4X and EF 2X teleconverters.
|Tripod Collar||Yes Fixed - rotating|
|Filter Thread||Drop-In: 52 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 5.04 x 9.16" (128 x 232.7 mm)|
|Weight||4.63 lb (2.1 kg)|